Friday, February 20, 2009

Solheim Dome

The kids golf. John, David, and Anina are currently participating in one of our gym group electives, which is golf. It meets weekly at Green Garden Golf Dome. Elizabeth has also participated in the past. I have been reviewing the pictures that I've been taking the last 7-8 weeks (one of my responsibilities in the co-operative gym group is the annual yearbook production). To see some of the photo album, click on the picture.

What I've noticed is that again and again, our golf pros go back to grip, swing, stance, and pre-shot routine, all before the shot is executed. These are the proper disciplines to execute a great shot. These are likened by many to the Christian walk. At the local Christian bookstore, I've seen books devoted to the golf theme, so I know I am not original.

However, one thought sticks out to me today: keep your eye on the ball. Many miss hits can be attributed to the fact that golfers may lift their head to see where the ball is going before it is hit. And keeping your eye on the ball is a basic must in any sport a ball is used.

Keep your eye on the ball. God is the one in which we must give our undivided attention. He must be our focus. We can't live as Jesus would have us live if we take our eyes off of Him. One of the most exciting things in my life has been to keep looking to Jesus, to see what's really happening, to see where I'm headed, and this realization has given me a solid reason for much hope. If we take our eyes off Jesus chances are we will miss hit, we will travel down a path inconsistent with God's plan for us.

But, I know I've had my share of miss hits. Sometimes, in my walk with Him, I come up short and it takes a couple of more shots to get where God wants me, sometimes I end up in the rough so I struggle to recover, sometimes I end up in a hazard and have to take a penalty for what I've done. But, regardless of the miss hit, the game isn't over.

John golfs, but when I am asked if I golf, I usually reply, "Yes I do - I mini-golf". That is supposed to be humorous. In actuality, with golf, I realize that I am not even in the game since I cannot make that drive needed to start the first hole. But in my walk with the Lord, I know I am in the game, trying to be properly prepared, keeping my eye on the ball.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment